Floating floor for comfort on trains
A "floating floor" that combines aluminum with compounds can help make passenger train travelers more comfortable.
Hydro and the Austrian company Getzner Werkstoffe combined their respective material expertise to develop the lightweight and thin-walled floors, which work to maximize the reduction in noise levels and mitigate vibrations. Hydro’s aluminum extrusions provide the elastic bearing in the floor construction, and the polyurethane core Sylomer® prevents vibration transfer from the car body inside the rail car cabin.
Specially constructed aluminum profiles
The floor uses specially constructed aluminum profiles around the Sylomer® core. This type of construction allows the top flooring to move around without direct connection to the base part of the profile – only the compound core connects the two main parts of the construction.
Technical benefits and advantages:
- Aluminum profile for easy assembly, leading to reduced processing time
- Re-design of aluminum profiles to customer needs
- Thin-walled floor
- Tolerances of rail car body can be compensated
- Polyurethane Sylomer® inlay for efficient vibration mitigation
- Lower noise level within rail cars
- Meets fire safety standards and is crash safe